PARISH DIRECTOR OF DISCIPLESHIP & EVANGELIZATION - Job Description
Reports to: Pastor
Schedule: Typically Sunday - Thursday
Requirement: Practicing Catholic in good standing with the Church
Assents to all Church teachings
Send Resume: Fr. Mark Lichter
To assist the Pastor with the formation needs of Sacred Heart parishioners. Responsibilities include planning, organizing and sometimes leading parish events, trainings and programs as well as recruiting, equipping and forming discipleship leaders to further the mission of discipleship and evangelization within the parish and community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Inspires, equips and forms pastoral leaders in the parish to lead small groups, bible studies and other efforts of discipleship and evangelization by determining individual's unique gifts and assisting them in sharing those gifts with the parish community and beyond.
- Directs parish events, trainings, and programs for the parish community including; coordinating speakers/trainers, facility needs, meals, and supplies.
- Coordinates or oversees larger parish faith formation efforts including; children’s faith formation, youth ministry, adult faith formation, Sacramental preparation, RCIA, Catechesis of the Good Shepherd
- Ensures that pastoral leaders have adequate knowledge of faith and catechetical skills.
- Maintains database and record of pastoral efforts in the parish as well as tracking growth and progress of discipleship in the parish.
- Works on continuing education by maintaining any necessary certifications, attending regional and national training opportunities as needed, and by attending Diocesan training meetings
- Manages discipleship and evangelization budget by planning purchases for upcoming year and making sure purchases stay within allotted budget.
- Keeps pastor informed of current status of discipleship efforts, issues and needs.
- Administers the implementation of and compliance with the Catholic Diocese of Sioux Falls Safe Environment Policies for Sacred Heart ensuring a safe environment for children and vulnerable adults and prepares information for Parish Audit.
- Directs and oversees parish communications and marketing efforts (website, social media, etc)
- Other duties as assigned
An important part of this position is reaching out to parishioners through time and care. Those in ministry cannot give what they do not possess themselves. Therefore, another important aspect of this position is to take time for personal prayer, attend retreats, find a spiritual director, receive the Sacraments often, and seek support and resources from others with similar ministries.
- Willingness and ability to effectively make known the Catholic Church’s teachings through the varied ministry activities expected of this position.
- Willingness and ability to act as an outstanding personal witness to the Catholic faith and religion by living both one’s professional and personal life in accordance with the doctrines and moral teachings of the Roman Catholic Church, as embodied in the various documents of the Roman Catholic Church, including, without limitation, the Catechism of the Roman Catholic Church.
- Strong relational skills
- Strong public speaking and teaching skills
- Working knowledge of computer (primarily Microsoft Office & Google Programs)
- Adept at using social media
- Be able to manage and execute multi tasks and/or high stress, deadline-driven situations in a professional manner.
- Be flexible and adapt quickly to changing situations.
- Be diplomatic, even-tempered and possess a positive “can-do” attitude.
- Maintain a high level of confidentiality and integrity.
- Ability to recruit volunteers and delegate tasks and projects by establishing work flows and task management procedures.
- Four year degree in Catholic Theology or related field, or equivalent experience preferred.
- Appropriate and adequate knowledge of Church Teachings.
- Experience in building community and intentionally investing in individuals preferred.
Job Conditions/Physical Demands:
The following are representative of the physical capabilities that must be met by an employee and the working conditions that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Additional hours above normal schedule occasionally required,
- Schedule often includes hours outside of working day, including evening programming (typically Wednesday evenings and Sundays), and after hours meetings.
- Stress related to handling multiple tasks/responsibilities at one time.
- Ability to push, pull, lift and carry items up to 30 pounds.
- Ability to sit, stand, bend, stoop, climb stairs, talk, hear, grasp, reach and perform repetitive motions of the fingers, hands and wrists.
- Ability to work in an office setting as wells as various venues according to event or activity.
- Vision abilities required include close vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The employee will work with a large number of individuals, often requiring multitasking and working with deadlines and details to ensure all of the essential functions are performed in a timely and courteous manner.
The above is not an exhaustive statement of duties or requirements. It describes the general content and requirements for this job.
I understand that in accepting the terms of this job description I acknowledge that I am a person of faith, and possess the professional abilities and personal attributes necessary to carry out the Primary Essential Qualifications and perform the duties and responsibilities as listed.
Accepted by: ________________________________________Date:_____________